Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This old fashioned pound cake recipe was given to my mother by a close friend of hers. It has to be the best pound cake, bar none, that I have ever had. Whenever I make it to take somewhere, folks love it. When I made it just for us, it disappeared very quickly. Great by itself, w/ strawberries on the side, or toasted... Sometimes, I substitute 1 t lemon or almond extract for 1 of the t of vanilla... excellent! NOTE: Ovens vary considerably so I recommend checking for done-ness before removing from the oven. Lightly press the top of the cake with your finger. You should be able to tell whether or not the cake is done. You may have to continue baking for an additional 5 to 10 minutes.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup Crisco
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Crisco or butter
- powdered sugar
- Grease a 10" tube pan with Crisco or butter and, instead of using flour to dust the pan, use powdered sugar to coat the greased pan. Set aside.
- Cream together butter and Crisco.
- Add sugar and mix well.
- Add eggs one at at time.
- Sift dry ingredients.
- Add alternately with milk and vanilla.
- Pour into prepared 10" tube pan.
- Bake at 300 degrees F for one hour.
- Turn oven up to 325 degrees F and bake for 15 additional minutes.
This is a very tasty pound cake. I love pound cake!! I had a bit of trouble with it cooking through. I ended up cooking it for an additional 20 mins at 325 and certain parts were still a bit uncooked. Not enough to ruin at all but just a bit. Its very flavorful and I will make again. Thanks for posting!