Recipe by Mary Alice Zurbach
This was my mother's (Clara) recipe. I have no idea where she got it but this was a staple at our house for years. All of us children (5) have tried to make this recipe taste like hers. We can come close but it never tastes as good as when she made it. Maybe it was the love. She died at the age of 86 and I'm posting this recipe in her memory.
Top Review by smbagirl02
YUMMY!!!! i ended up making ALOT! I was only able to find a LARGE can of bean sprouts so i just added extra everything......Everyone in the house loved it and the leftovers were ever better :) I liked that it did take ALL that long to make and it was pretty affordable!
- 1 cup rice
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 cups water
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can bean sprouts, drained
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
- soy sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook rice and celery together in water until done (about 20 min.); drain.
- Dice bacon and fry.
- Remove bacon from pan.
- Fry onion and hamburg in bacon grease until done; drain.
- Combine all ingredients and simmer until hot (about 15 min.).
- Add soy sauce and pepper to taste.