Recipe by Jenny Sanders
This is a very intriguing dish. The flavours blend so well it is hard to identify any one of the componants; instead it seems like some new, mysterious veggie.
Top Review by Maxine B.
Soooo good! When I serve it, people think it tastes like the best mashed potatoes ever. Followed instructions exactly and you won't be disappointed. One of my favorite recipes.
- 1 lb white potato
- 1 lb carrot
- 1 lb rutabaga
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel the rutabaga and cut it in thin slices.
- Put it in a large pot with plenty of water and bring it to a boil.
- Meanwhile, peel the carrots and cut them in thick slices.
- When the rutabaga has been cooking for about 10 minutes, add the carrots.
- Meanwhile, peel the potatoes, and cut them into large chunks.
- When the rutabaga has been cooking for 20 minutes (total) add the potatoes, and cook for about another 20 minutes.
- When all the vegetables are tender, drain them and mash them with the butter, salt and pepper.
- These are delicious mashed somewhat coarsely and served as-is.
- You can also purée them very well, beat in the egg, and turn them into a buttered casserole dish, then bake them until lightly toasted on top.