1 hr 20 mins
This appetizing first course is the dish to impress! From the flavor center of the universe, Louisiana. Courtesy of Chef Kevin Graham of the Windsor Court Hotel, featured in The Louisiana New Garde television series.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces quail
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 ounces foie gras
- 2 ounces whipped cream
- 1 teaspoon dry sherry or 1 teaspoon madeira wine
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1Rub quails with salt and sugar mixture; let marinate 20 minutes.
- 2Slow smoke them over low coals for one hour.
- 3Remove the skin from one of the quail; gently remove allthe meat.
- 4Finely mince the meat and set to the side.
- 5Press the foie gras through a fine sieve; combine with cream and sherry or Madeira.
- 6Fold in the minced quail meat; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 7To serve: Slice the meat off the remaining quail's breast; cut each side into 7 slices.
- 8Remove the bones from the carcass and re-form a breast with the foie gras mousse.
- 9Cover with reserved breast slices, overlapping on an angle (the breast should appear to be braided).
- 10Arrange the quail on a plate garnished with kumquat relish.
- 11To make the relish: Place the sugar in a skillet and cook to caramelize over medium high heat.
- 12When the sugar turns golden, add remaining ingredients and cook until sugar is melted and most of the liquid has evaporated (about 5 minutes).
Browse Our Top Quail Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Clancy's Quail
Serving Size: 1 (549 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1095.2
- Calories from Fat 505
- Total Fat 56.2 g
- Saturated Fat 17.6 g
- Cholesterol 266.7 mg
- Sodium 7524.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 91.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.8 g
- Sugars 77.8 g
- Protein 54.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: