Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This appetizing first course is the dish to impress! From the flavor center of the universe, Louisiana. Courtesy of Chef Kevin Graham of the Windsor Court Hotel, featured in The Louisiana New Garde television series.
- 8 ounces quail
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 ounces foie gras
- 2 ounces whipped cream
- 1 teaspoon dry sherry or 1 teaspoon madeira wine
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 8 kumquats, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dry vermouth
- Rub quails with salt and sugar mixture; let marinate 20 minutes.
- Slow smoke them over low coals for one hour.
- Remove the skin from one of the quail; gently remove allthe meat.
- Finely mince the meat and set to the side.
- Press the foie gras through a fine sieve; combine with cream and sherry or Madeira.
- Fold in the minced quail meat; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve: Slice the meat off the remaining quail's breast; cut each side into 7 slices.
- Remove the bones from the carcass and re-form a breast with the foie gras mousse.
- Cover with reserved breast slices, overlapping on an angle (the breast should appear to be braided).
- Arrange the quail on a plate garnished with kumquat relish.
- To make the relish: Place the sugar in a skillet and cook to caramelize over medium high heat.
- When the sugar turns golden, add remaining ingredients and cook until sugar is melted and most of the liquid has evaporated (about 5 minutes).