Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
This is a delicious recipe from a July, 1996 Bon Appetit magazine. Serve with a loaf of bread to dip in the incredible broth. Enjoy.
- 4 dozen littleneck clams, scrubbed
- 59.14 ml cornmeal
- 14.79 ml kosher salt
- 354.88 ml dry white wine
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into thin strips
- 59.14 ml butter (1/2 stick)
- 59.14 ml olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 9.85 ml lemon peel, grated
- 118.29 ml fresh cilantro, chopped
- Place clams in a large bowl. Add enough cold water to cover. Sprinkle with cornmeal and salt. Let stand 1 hour. Drain clams and rinse well.
- Combine wine, bell peppers, butter, oil, garlic and lemon peel in a large pot.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cover and cook 2 minutes.
- Increase heat to high and add all clams and chopped cilantro. Cover pot and cook until clams open, about 8 minutes. Discard any clams that do not open. Ladle clams and broth into bowls and serve.
This is my favorite steamer recipe and I had lost it several years ago. Have been searching the internet for it and finally found it- thank you Mary! Made these all the time at my beach house to rave reviews.