Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Easy seafood dinner with pasta. Spaghetti, Linguini, Spaghettini, any other long pasta is lovely with this recipe. Serve with a chilled, crisp, semi-dry Reisling style from Vineland Estates VQA; perfect with seafood or chicken dishes. A nice Reif Estate Vidal VQA with its peach flavour and hints of tropical fruit and a refreshing lemony crispness make this wine an easy sipper. Excellent with any seafood salad as well. I have served this recipe with suggested wines to guests; of course I doubled the recipe for "More Please" requests. It is a hit. Serve with a salad of Romaine, Escarole, Endive, with a simple Olive Oil and Balsamic vinegar dressing
- 36 large fresh cleaned clams
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup finely diced fresh fennel
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 (450 g) package spaghetti
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- fennel, fronds (to garnish)
- Heat butter in a large saucepan over mediun heat.
- Add onion and cook until soft.
- Add garlic, fennel and cook until fragrant.
- Add wine and thyme; bring to a boil.
- Add clams, cover and cook covered for 10 minutes stirring occasionally just until shells open.
- Continue to cook until remaining clams open.
- Discard any unopened clams.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add salt and spaghett, and cook until al dente.
- Drain, keeping 1 cup (250 mL) of the cooking water aside.
- Toss with hot fennel mixture and cherry tomatoes- add a little pasta water if necessary.
- divide between 4 bowls.
- Top with clams and fennel fronds.