Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
From "Wine Lover's Healthy Weight-Loss Plan" Recommended Wine Pairing: Sparkling Wine or Sauv Blanc Serve with toasted whole-wheat Italian bread to dip into juices!
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 plum tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons roasted red peppers, minced and drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, minced
- freshly cracked black pepper
- 24 small hard-shelled clams, scrubbed well (manila clams or cockles)
- 1⁄2 cup dry whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon of fresh mint, minced
- In deep 6qt heavy pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute
- Stir in tomatoes, red peppers, and 1 Tbs of oregano. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes break down (4-5 mins). Season with pepper to taste.
- Add clams, stirring well to coat. Cover pot tightly and increase heat to medium high. Cook, stirring once, until clams open (5-7 mins; Discard any clams that have not opened after 7 mins).
- Meanwhile, toss together bread crumbs, lemon zest, mint and remaining 1 Tbs oregano.
- Divide the clams and pan juices among 4 shallow bowls. Sprinklethe seasoned crumbs over top. Serve immediately.