Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
From the Ultimate Gullah Cookbook.
- 16 clams (or 1 lb, chopped)
- 1⁄2 large bell pepper, choped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 stalk celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup bacon drippings
- 1 tablespoon seasoning, Gullah Luv (or salt and pepper mixture)
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon Kitchen Bouquet
- Open clams, remove and wash meat. Chop meat on cutting board. Pour bacon drippings into a large, dutch oven pot. Add pepper, onion, and celery. Saute at medium temperaturrre for 5 minutes. Mix flour in one cup of warm water. Stir until mixture is smooth and free of any lumps. Pour slowly into pot, stirring constantly. Keep stireeing mixture until it blends smoothly. Add remaining water. Cook and stir until desired thickness is reached. Add all seasoning. Cover and bring to a boi. Add clams and cook for 5-10 minutes. Keep stirring to prevent sticking or burning. Ad Kitchen Bouquet to obtain browning coloring. Taste. You may have to add more water and additional seasoning as desired. Serv over grits or rice (and definitely with biscuits!).
When I read this recipe I just had to give it a try. I really didn't know what to expect from clams in a brown gravy. I was very pleasantly surprised. Even more so because I didn't use the bacon fat. I might use bacon once or twice a year and then it's low fat turkey bacon. Instead I used scant 1 tbsp of a "good fat" margarine and simmered that with water to soften the veggies well. When the water had cooked off I continued by using the clam water and enough tap water to make up what was needed. The only thing that I don't want to forget is to advise you to be careful on the amount of flour. I cut it back to 1/3 cup and that thickened it quite enough. Any more and mine would have been paste. I used the salt and pepper for seasoning. This makes big servings too, I had my dinner and there is plenty left for at least 4 (and maybe 5!) more. I'm pretty sure that the bacon drippings would really increase the flavor curve but I was very happy with the flavor I got without all of the sat fat. Made for Photo Tag.