This is a recipe that I make at the end of the summer when local tomatoes are so good, and the kids are off somewhere. My husband and I sit on the deck enjoying this and appreciating how good life can be. It's really that good. Comes from a cookbook called "The Useful Pig."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 dozen small littleneck clams
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 -5 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 large fresh diced plum tomatoes
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 small bay leaf
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 ounces cooked ham, coarsely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1Several hours before cooking, scrub the clams and soak them in a large basin of cold salted water. Change the water and wash the clams several times, until the water remains clear and free of sediment when stirred.
- 2Heat the olive oil in a dutch oven large enough to hold the clams in one layer. Add the chile pepper and onion. When the onion softens, add half the garlic. Cook briefly, then add the tomatoes, a generous grinding of pepper, the rest of the garlic, the oregano and the bay leaf. When the tomatoes are bubbling nicely, add the white wine & bring to a boil.
- 3Reduce the sauce slightly, lover the heat and stir in half the parsley. Then add the ham, mixing to combine, followed by the clams, arranged side by side. Sprinkle with a little more parsley, saving some to add when the clams have opened.
- 4Cover the pot and simmer about 10 minutes or til all the clams have opened. As they cook, check them frequently, each time spooning the sauce over them. When the clams have opened, sprinkle with the remaining parsley. Discard any that don't open.
- 5Serve accompanied with a basket of good crusty bread to soak up the juice.
Browse Our Top Low Cholesterol Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Clams in Wine With Ham & Parsley Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (160 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 326.1
- Calories from Fat 193
- Total Fat 21.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 42.9 mg
- Sodium 67.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 16.0 g