Recipe by English_Rose
A splash of fino sherry and a smidgen of pesto add a sensational kick to these tomato clams. Serves four as an appetizer or two for a main.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 1⁄2 ounces shallots, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 7 tablespoons fino sherry wine
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons pesto sauce
- 2 1⁄4 lbs clams
- 1⁄2 lemon
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan, tip in the shallots and garlic cook until softened, but not coloured.
- Add a splash of sherry and the tomatoes and cook to reduce slightly, about 10 minutes. Add the pesto and season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Heat the remaining sherry and a little water in a steamer and steam the clams until all are open, about 3 minutes.
- Pour a couple of tablespoons of the juice into the tomato sauce. Cook a little more to bring to a coating consistency.
- Pour the sauce over the clams and stir to combine; transfer to serving bowls and eat while still hot.