Recipe by "Food:The Way To Anyone's Heart"
This is a variation of clams casino made by Venus De Milo Restaurant. For over 45 years, Venus de Milo Restaurant has been recognized as one of the premier restaurants in southeastern Massachusetts and Rhode Island, and is capable of hosting banquets up to 2000 people! It is also famous for one of it's chefs, Emeril Lagasse, who worked their after culinary school.
Top Review by Ross deBoss
I've made clams casino many times and have always used either either homemade bread crumbs, crushed croutons or in a pinch seasoned prepackaged bread crumbs. I found the ritz crackers with the butter to be a fine variation. Thank you for that. I agree with Kitelady's post that Lea & Perrins worcestershire makes a dramatic improvement to the recipe (my words, not the gracious lady's) and as we like a little kick, I also add just a drop or so of tabasco sauce. The tabasco isn't actually hot per se used here, but the taste of the appetizer with it or without is immediately apparent. Thanks again for a great recipe.
- 2 ounces thinly sliced bacon
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup diced sweet red pepper
- 1⁄4 cup diced red green pepper
- 1⁄4 cup diced onion
- 1⁄2 lb butter
- 2 cups crushed Ritz crackers
- salt and black pepper, if needed
- 1 dozen small hard shelled clam, cleaned and opened
Directions See How It's Made
- Sautee the bacon over a medium fire until it begins to brown.
- Add the garlic and the vegetables and sauté until the vegetables begin to wilt.
- Remove from the fire.
- In a double boiler melt the butter.
- Skim the clear butter off of the top with a ladle and place in a measuring cup discarding the milky portion that remains.
- Crush 1-1½ sleeves of Ritz Crackers and measure off 2 cups.
- Combine ½ cup of drawn butter with 2 cups of Ritz Crackers.
- Adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Combine the Ritz Cracker and butter mixture with the vegetable mixture.
- To make Clams Casino: Wash and open little neck clams being careful to retain as much of the juices as you can. This is accomplished by not tipping the clams. Stuff the clams with casino topping and place a small square of raw bacon on top. Broil in a 375° F oven until the crumbs are brown and the bacon is crispy. Serve with cocktail sauce.