Recipe by BecR
Serve Clams Casino Dip/Spread warm or at room temp with buttery crackers (such as Townhouse or Ritz) or a good bread as an appetizer or snack. Mmmm delicious...perfect for a Super Bowl Party, or anytime. Great make-ahead dish, the flavors develop after several hours in the fridge (Chef John recommends at least four hours in the fridge), but best tasting warm or at room temperature so take out of fridge an hour before serving. From Chef John at Food Wishes.
- 2 (6 1/2 ounce) cans minced clams, with juice
- 1 lb cream cheese, at room temperature (2 eight ounce boxes)
- 6 -8 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 tablespoon butter
- 1 jalapeno, minced (seeded and membrane removed)
- 1⁄2 cup small diced red bell pepper
- 1⁄3 cup small diced celery
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 cup minced green onion, save tops for garnish
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- hot sauce (a few drops)
- fresh ground black pepper
- Ritz cracker, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut bacon into 1/4-inch pieces and saute in a skillet with the butter over medium heat 'til completely crisp; drain the fat and reserve the bacon to a plate.
- In same pan with about 1 teaspoon of the drippings saute the jalapeno, red bell pepper, celery, garlic and green onion over medium heat until just the veggies just barely start to soften (about 3 minutes); now add the juice from one can of clams and reduce over high heat until almost all the liquid has evaporated, about another three minutes. Remove mixture to a plate and allow to cool to room temperature before adding to the cream cheese.
- In a mixing bowl combine the cream cheese with the cooled mixture, and stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Transfer into your serving dish and garnish top with a tablespoon or so of the crisp bacon and the green onion tops.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with Ritz crackers or a good bread.