Recipe by Commis_Chef
My fellow classmate made this recipe and she substituted little croutons for bread crumbs, Chef was not impressed and neither was I. The bread crumbs made for a much nicer presentation. We had some of the mixture left over and we were more than happy to get rid of it (mid day class snack!). The mixture was awesome and would be great for a omelet mix (without the bread) and etc. So good! This was also the first time I had eaten clams, not bad. I think the bread mixture on top helped. And suggest as a first encounter for anyone who is a first timer with clams like me.
- 1⁄4 cup bacon, 1/4-inch diced
- 2 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup red bell pepper, 1/4-inch diced
- 1⁄4 cup green bell pepper, 1/4-inch diced
- 1 teaspoon parsley, minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 24 clams
- 3 tablespoons rock salt
- 2 lemons, cut in half wrapped in cheese cloth
- 2 teaspoons salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cook bacon crisp in a saute pan.
- Saute shallots, garlic, peppers in saute pan with bacon on medium head for 2-3 minutes.
- Add parsley, lemon juice, butter and bread crumbs; combine seasonings.
- Cool bread crumb mixture.
- Open clams (some say to discard tops, we used them to loosen the meat and open the other clams) Loosen meat from lower shell, leave clam in shell.
- Place clams on sheet pan top with 1 TBSP crumb mixture.
- Bake 5-8 minutes.
- Sprinkle rock salt on a servering dish and serve with lemons.