Recipe by Mille®
A seafood restaurant favourite. I have modified the original recipe to meet my low sodium diet requirements. These are delicious - enjoy!
- 24 medium hard-shelled clams, opened and left on the half shell
- 4 slices fat-free bread, each broken into 2 pieces
- 1 clove garlic
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley (plus some chopped for garnish)
- 3⁄4 tablespoon fresh oregano (or ¾ tablespoon dried)
- 3⁄4 tablespoon fresh basil (or ¾ tablespoon dried)
- 1 tablespoon sodium-free margarine, melted
- 1⁄4 cup Herb-ox very-low-sodium chicken broth or 1⁄4 cup clam juice
- 4 slices turkey bacon or 4 slices Esskay reduced-sodium bacon, uncooked,each cut into 6 pieces
- 1 -2 lemon, cut into wedges
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat broiler.
- In a food processor with the metal blade in place, add the bread.
- Pulse to process, 5 to 10 times, and then turn the machine on, so that it is continually running.
- Drop the garlic and herbs through feed tube, and continue to process the bread and herbs until finely chopped.
- Place the breadcrumb mixture into a large bowl and add the melted margarine and broth.
- Mix ingredients to a medium dry stuffing.
- Place the clams in their shells on a cookie sheet that has sides.
- Top each clam with one tablespoon of the stuffing mixture and one piece of the raw bacon.
- Place the cookie sheet 3 inches from the heat, and broil for 5 minutes or until the bacon is crisp on one side.
- Turn the bacon over and broil for 3-5 minutes on the other side, or until bacon is crisp and clams have cooked.
- Serve immediately topped with chopped parsley, with lemon wedges on the side.