Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
this can be made with mussels too, i had a similar dish recently while vacationing in the caribbean.
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 lbs clams, scrubbed
- 3 inches fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 2 jalapeno chiles, diced
- 1 cup diced butternut squash
- 4 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 3 limes, juice of
- 1 lime, cut in wedges,for garnish
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 mangoes, peeled and diced
- 2 sprigs parsley, chopped
- 4 sprigs cilantro, chopped or 4 sprigs basil leaves
- in a dutch oven heat bacon, stirring until it begins to get crispy.
- add garlic and cook for a few minutes until golden.
- add clams, ginger, jalapenos, squash, tomatoes, wine, stock and water, bring to a boil, then simmer until clams open, about 8-10 minutes.
- fold in black beans, mangoes, lime juice, parsley and cilantro.
- garnish with lime wedges and serve in bowls.
I loved this BUT they left me to wonder when I added the olive oil and scallions, I added it as it started to simmer.The flavors were incredible, also didn't have black beans but used pintos instead. I am trying to decide when I can add this to a dinner party menu. It is a keeper.
This was really, really good! I could not stop eating it! The smokey bacon with the mangoes was a terrific combo. And the ginger and lime with the peppers was great. I used 2 tbsp of olive oil to fry the bacon, then I pulled it off the burner and added the garlic. Then followed everything the way it is written. I served it over a little rice. It makes a lot of delicious broth! I love clams and this was a great way to make them. Thanks for a great recipe! Sue