Recipe by Shannon Fernekes
The original idea for this recipe is from my mom. Although it is very good, I had to make several changes. If you enjoy seafood in excess, you'll love this. I prefer to do the potatoes separately, then add at the end of cooking time. I find that it makes the potatoes perfect.
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 (6 1/2 ounce) canschopped clams, juice included
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon parsley flakes
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, sauté bacon until brown, leaving grease in pan (shouldn't be much).
- In a separate pot, par-boil potatoes with garlic powder (potatoes should still be firm), reserving 1 cup potato water in separate bowl.
- Add to bacon, onion, celery and minced garlic. Sauté until tender.
- Add clams with juice and lemon juice.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Add soup, stir constantly as it will thicken.
- Add reserved potato water; bring to a simmer as it will start to thicken again.
- Add milk.
- Continue cooking until desired consistency.
- Stir in parsley flakes.
- Add potatoes until desired firmness.
- Salt and pepper to taste.