This is from the Seattle Times, and was made famous-ish by The Times' food critic for many years, John Hinterberger. Here it is with a few modifications. By the way, the amount of pimento and parmesan or romano cheese are guesses, since the recipe itself doesn't specify.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup olive oil, plus
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 dried red chili pepper, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced garlic or 3 large mashed garlic
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 (6 1/2 ounce) cans chopped clams, drained, with liquid reserved
- 1/3 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 lb dried spaghetti
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup black olives, sliced
- 1 tablespoon pimiento, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1/2 cup romano cheese
- 1Put 1/2 cup olive oil in a large cast-iron skillet and slowly heat. Add the chili pepper, onion, and garlic. Cook slowly about 30 minutes or until the onions are very soft.
- 2add the basil, oregano, salt and pepper, wine, and clam liquid. Continue to simmer until reduced somewhat. Keep warm. Meanwhile, saute the mushrooms in a tablespoon of butter and add to mixture.
- 3Bring large pot of water to boil. Add a tablespoon of salt and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Cook spaghetti until just al dente.
- 4As pasta is cooking, add the clams, parsley and 3 tablespoons of cheese to the sauce and simmer on low for about 5 minutes. Add olives and pimento, if desired.
- 5After draining pasta, stir into the sauce and toss. Continue to fry and toss for several minutes--this drives moisture from the pasta and gives it texture and flavor.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Clam Spaghetti
Serving Size: 1 (266 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 618.4
- Calories from Fat 249
- Total Fat 27.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 30.6 mg
- Sodium 606.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 23.7 g