Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Got this from one of my old cookbooks--Woman's Day.
- 20 lbs clams (small)
- 2 ounces fat bacon
- 1 large onion
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 1⁄2 quarts water
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked rice
- Leave clams overnight in salted water and then wash thoroughly in several waters to clean all the sand.
- Dice bacon and onion and sauté with oil and butter in deep pot.
- Add clams and a parsley sprig.
- Cover and allow simmering slowly for about 20 minutes, stirring from time to time so onions do not burn.
- Add water.
- When this comes to a boil, add rice; add 10 ounces frozen peas to the soup when rice is soft.
- Allow to come to a boil again and then turn heat down, allowing soup to simmer slowly until rice has softened almost to a paste.
- Remove all empty shells which have loosened from the clams.
I found this soup rather flat - maybe a pinch of saffron or some orange zest might have lifted it a bit.