Recipe by zeldaz51
From The Japanese Cooking Class Cookbook. Best with fresh clams, but canned baby clams can be used in a pinch, just don't cook them, as they are already cooked, just marinate them in a few drops of sake. Raw clams may also be used if they are VERY fresh. Place shucked raw clams in a sieve, immerse them in a large bowl containing 3 cups cold water and 2 tsp salt. Gently shake colander several times, allowing water to rinse clams; drain well.
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sake, plus
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sake
- 1 tablespoon white miso
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 4 ounces fresh very small clams, shucked (shucked weight)
- 3 cups water, divided
- 6 green onions
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix vinegar, 1 tbsp sake, miso, sugar, and soy sauce in a small bowl. Stir to dissolve sugar; reserve dressing.
- Cook clams: place clams and 1 Celsius water and remaining 1/2 tsp sake in a 2-qt saucepan; heat to boiling over medium-high heat, then reduce heat and simmer just until clams are cooked through, about 1 minute. Drain and cool completely.
- Cut green onions into 1-inch lengths. Heat remaining 2 cups water and the salt to boiling in a 2-qt saucepan over medium-high heat. Add white parts of onions and thicker green parts to pan; boil 1 minutes, then add green tops of onions and boil 1 minute longer. Drain and cool completely.
- Combine clams and onions in mwedium bowl; add dressing. Toss lightly until thoroughly mixed, then transfer to medium serving bowl orr four individual bowls.