Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Yes..it sounds a bit strange! It's a delicious and unique appetizer to start a nice Italian seafood based meal. Not really suited to take to a party as these needs to be served straight out of the oven.
- 1 (7 1/2 ounce) can minced clams
- 1 lemon, rind of, grated
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup stiff mayonnaise
- 8 slices white bread (thin slices)
- 3 egg whites
- Combine well-drained clams, lemon rind, juice, mayonnaise, salt to taste and a dash of paprika. Set in refrigerator while preparing bread rounds.
- With a 2 inch cookie cutter, cut 3 rounds from each slice of bread.
- Arrange the 24 rounds on a cookie sheet. Put it under a hot broiler - Leave broiler door open and watch carefully until rounds are toasted, less than 1 minute.
- Take rounds out with a pancake turner as they brown, Toast only one side.
- Beat egg whites stiff, fold them into the clam mixture and mound it high on the untoasted sides of the rounds.
- Put them back on the cookie sheet and sprinkle lightly with paprika.
- Put them back under the broiler - Again leave broiler door open and stand by with the.
- pancake turner.
- The meringues will puff and brown in 1/2 minute.
- Serve at once.