1/1 Photo of Clam - Lobster Bake
7 hrs 55 mins
1 hr 15 mins
6 hrs 40 mins
Even if you don't live at the beach, you can enjoy an impressive backyard clambake. Simply substitute a combination of greens and damp cheesecloth for seaweed, firewood for driftwood and heavy duty aluminum foil for the traditional sand covering. About 12 lbs. of mixed greens (collard greens, kale, etc.) and 15 yards of cheesecloth will hold in moisture as food cooks. Three rolls of heavy duty 37 1/2 ft. aluminum foil will both line and seal pit
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Prepare your favorite clam chowder as an appetizer.
- 2Serve clambake with plenty of melted butter, lemons, and watermelon.
- 3" Detailed directions below.
- 4Dig a bow-shaped pit 3 ft. in diameter and 1.5 feet deep in the center.
- 5Using crisscross pattern, line with double thickness of heavy duty aluminum foil, then a layer of dry rocks about the size of grapefruit. NOTE: Wet rocks can explode. Build a bonfire on top of rocks in the pit. Use firewood and kindling.
- 6Let the fire burn 1.5 to 2 hours or until burned down and rocks are hot. NOTE: Do not use charcoal.
- 7Soak corn-on-the-cob (with silk removed) and mixed greens in cold water while fire is burning.
- 8Wash clams and set aside. Refrigerate lobster on ice. Peel onions; remove ends. Oil potatoes.
- 9Once fire has burned down, work quickly to prevent rocks from losing heat. Tamp down embers.
- 10On top of rocks, layer pit in the following order: Half of the greens, strips of wet cheesecloth, potatoes, corn, onions, chicken halves, live lobsters and clams.
- 11Cover food with remaining wet cheesecloth, then greens.
- 12Cover pit with heavy duty aluminum foil.
- 13Crimp all sides to the edges of aluminum foil used to line the pit. Let food steam cook 40 to 60 minutes.
- 14Remove foods immediately when done. Cooking times will vary depending on temperature of rocks.
- 15Peek at clams after 40 minutes. If they are open and lobsters are bright red, dinner is ready.
- 16Serve with melted butter and lemon.
Browse Our Top Lobster Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Clam - Lobster Bake
Serving Size: 1 (891 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 990.1
- Calories from Fat 276
- Total Fat 30.7 g
- Saturated Fat 8.3 g
- Cholesterol 357.6 mg
- Sodium 704.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 71.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 9.6 g
- Protein 107.2 g