Prep 30 mins
Cook 21 mins
We love seafood cakes. Here is a clam version
- 1⁄4 lb thick-cut bacon
- 1 lb diced cooked potato
- 2 cups coarsely chopped clams, drained well
- 2 cups firm white breadcrumbs
- 1 cup thinly sliced scallion
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- seafood sauce
- In a big skillet over medium heat, fry the bacon until it is crisp and fat is rendered, about 5-7 minutes; use a slotted spoon and remove bacon from skillet; drain bacon on paper towels, then crumble and set aside.
- Pour off all but 2 tablespoons bacon drippings from skillet.
- In a large bowl, use your hands to gently but thoroughly combine the potatoes, clams, bread crumbs, scallions, cream, parsley, thyme, oregano, hot pepper sauce, pepper, eggs, and baron.
- Divide mixture into 6 parts, forming each into a patty about 3 inches diameter.
- In the skillet used to cook the bacon, heat the bacon drippings and vegetable oil.
- Cook the hash cakes 5-7 minutes until the bottom is browned and crisp.
- Turn patties carefully using a spatula and cook 5-7 minutes until the other side is browned and crisp.
- Serve hash cakes with seafood sauce.