Recipe by Barb in WNY
Another recipe that has been in my recipe note book for years. If you see this then it was a keeper and recommended.
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 (6 1/2 ounce) cans minced clams, broth drained and reserved
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cups cooked rice, cooled
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, mince
- vegetable oil, for frying
Red Devil Sauce
- 10 1⁄2 ounces tomato soup
- 1⁄4 cup clam broth, reserved
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 3 -6 drops hot pepper sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift flour, baking powder. salt, pepper, and onion powder into a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk 1/2 cup reserved clam liquid, milk, egg yolks, and 1 T. oil in a small bowl until blended.
- Add to flour mixture; beat until smooth.
- Stir in clams, rice and green pepper.
- Prepare the Devil Sauce.
- Heat 3 inches of oil in a large deep saucepan over medium-high heat until oil is 370F; adjust heat to maintain temperature.
- Beat egg whites in a small bowl until stiff but not dry, fold into rice mixture.
- Carefully drop batter by heaping tablespoonfuls into oil; fry, turning once, until golden, about 2 1/2 minutes per side.
- Drain on paper towels; serve with Red Devil Sauce.
- Devil Sauce: Mix all ingredients in a small saucepan; heat over medium heat until hot.