Recipe by SLColman
This is how my MIL makes clam chowder - basic but good and not very thick. This is the clam chowder that DH insists we have for Christmas Eve.
- 3 (6 1/2 ounce) cans clams, with liquid
- 6 potatoes
- 1 onion
- 6 cups milk
- 12 tablespoons flour
- 6 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and cut the potatoes into bite sized pieces.
- Chop the onion.
- Place potatoes and onions into a saucepan.
- Cover with water.
- Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are just tender.
- Drain the water from the potatoes, but do not discard.
- In the saucepan make a light roux using the butter and flour.
- Add the milk to the roux, stir well to take out any lumps.
- Add back the potatoes and onions to the saucepan.
- Add the 2 cans of clams with liquid.
- Bring the whole thing almost to a boil in order to see the thickness of the chowder.
- If the chowder is too thick add some of the reserved potato cooking water to achieve the desired thickness.
- Season with salt and pepper.