Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
Cooking Light magazine recipe
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 2 (6 1/2 ounce) canschopped clams, undrained
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cups diced peeled baking potatoes (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 slice bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
- cooking spray
- to prepare crust, lightly spoon 3/4 cup flour into dry measuring cups, level with knife.
- combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, and salt in a large bowl, cut in shortening with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- sprinkle surface with ice water and vinegar, toss with a fork until moist and crumbly (do not form a ball) press mixture gently into a 6*4 inch rectangle on a heavy-duty plastic wrap; cover with additional plastic wrap.
- chill 15 minutes preheat oven to 400 drain clams in a colander over bowl, reserving juice.
- set clams aside.
- combine the reserved juice, 1 1/2 cups milk, and thyme in a large saucepan, bring to a boil.
- add potato and onion.
- bring to a boil, cook 2 minutes.
- drain potato mixture in a colander over a bowl, reserving liquid.
- set potato mixture aside.
- return cooking liquid to pan over medium heat.
- lightly spoon 1/3 cup flour into a dry measuring cup, level with a knife.
- combine 1/2 cup of milk and flour in a small bowl,stir with a whisk.
- stir flour mixture into cooking liquid in pan.
- stir in wine and bacon.
- bring to a boil, cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- remove from heat, add potato mixture.
- partially mash with a potato masher.
- stir in clams, celery salt, and next4 ingredients (celery salt through spinach) spoon mixture into an 11*7 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- roll dough into a 12*8 inch rectangle.
- remove one sheet of plastic wrap, fit dough on top of clam mixture, pressing to edge of dish.
- Remove top sheet of plastic wrap cut 5 slits in top of crust to allow steam to escape.
- bake at 400 for 30 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly around edges let stand 10 minutes.