Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This makes the best clam chowder soup! This is the one my family always asks for and says there's none better. The half & half makes the creamy rich texture we all love. The recipe is from an old friend I worked with years ago. I know you will enjoy this wonderful recipe!
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 236.59 ml celery, chopped
- 29.58 ml butter
- 59.14 ml butter
- 4 (680.38 g) can minced clams (drained, save for broth)
- 4 (1219.02 g) can chicken broth
- 473.18 ml potatoes, peeled and diced
- 118.29 ml flour
- 236.59 ml milk (whole for creamy texture)
- 236.59 ml half-and-half cream
- 1.23 ml thyme
- salt and pepper
- Melt 2 tbsp butter in a large saucepan; saute onions and celery until softened. Add clam juice, chicken broth and potatoes. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- In a separate saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter, add flour and cook for 1 minute. Add milk and half & half; mixing thoroughly.
- Add the flour mixture to the broth mixture; add clams, seasonings and heat through. (Do not allow to boil).