Recipe by MaryB2
This makes the best clam chowder soup! This is the one my family always asks for and says there's none better. The half & half makes the creamy rich texture we all love. The recipe is from an old friend I worked with years ago. I know you will enjoy this wonderful recipe!
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 4 (6 ounce) cans minced clams (drained, save for broth)
- 4 (10 3/4 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 cup milk (whole for creamy texture)
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt 2 tbsp butter in a large saucepan; saute onions and celery until softened. Add clam juice, chicken broth and potatoes. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- In a separate saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter, add flour and cook for 1 minute. Add milk and half & half; mixing thoroughly.
- Add the flour mixture to the broth mixture; add clams, seasonings and heat through. (Do not allow to boil).