1/1 Photo of Clam Chowder from the Drake Hotel Chicago
This is by far the best Clam Chowder I have ever had! It is a very famous receipt that has wowed guests and diners at The Drake Hotel for many, many years!!! I sometimes use vegetable stock as opposed to fish.....
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1/2 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 3 -4 crushed peppercorns
- 4 cups white wine
- 4 cups fish stock (see note)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 lbs whole fresh clams (the hotel uses topneck clam, see note)
- 1To prepare stock, melt 3 tablespoons butter in a 3-quart stockpot. Skim off foam. Add carrots, onion, celery and crushed peppercorns. Saute until vegetables soften. Stir in wine, fish stock and bay leaf. Bring mixture to a boil. Scrub clams. Add to pot. Cover; simmer for about 10 minutes or until clams open.
- 2Remove clams from pot with a slotted spoon. Pull out meat from clams. Chop meat; set aside or refrigerate until ready to use.
- 3Strain stock; set aside or refrigerate until ready to use.
- 4To prepare chowder: In another 3-quart stockpot, melt 6 tablespoons butter. Add celery, onion and potato. Saute until vegetables soften. Stir in clam stock, garlic, thyme, bay leaf, and salt and pepper to taste. Add chopped clam meat. Cook over medium heat for 20 to 25 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- 5In a separate saucepan, melt remaining 4 tablespoons butter. Gradually stir in flour to form a light paste, or roux. Remove from heat. Gradually whisk roux into chowder. Let simmer for about 10 minutes or until the mixture begins to thicken.
- 6Remove from heat. Stir in cream.
Browse Our Top Low Protein Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Clam Chowder from the Drake Hotel Chicago
Serving Size: 1 (464 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 14
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 409.2
- Calories from Fat 243
- Total Fat 27.0 g
- Saturated Fat 16.4 g
- Cholesterol 105.7 mg
- Sodium 950.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 13.8 g