Recipe by bspratt
This is a favorite Sunday night meal for my family. I make with lots of potatoes and clams and serve it with corn muffins.
Top Review by Breezytoo
This makes a really good bowl of chowder! The ingredients listed are pretty much a guideline with no amounts listed, so here's what I did. To make a smaller amount I used 1 can of chopped clams and about a quarter of an onion sauted in 2 Tablespoons butter ~ after they were cooked, I added 2 Tablespoons of flour to make a roux (so the broth would thicken up when all ingredients were added) before adding the clams with juice and about a half cup of corn. To this I added about 1 1/2 to 2 cups of milk and let it thicken some before adding the cooked potatoes, which I used 3 small ones of and let it simmer on low til it thickened to my liking. This is a pretty basic recipe, but the flavor is very good and I'd like to try it with fresh clams next time. Thank you for sharing your recipe. Made for PAC Spring 09.
- 2 cans chopped clams
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 can crisp sweet corn
- russet potatoes or idaho potato
- sherry wine
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil the potatoes in their skins until tender.
- Dry them and the skins will slip right off.
- Cut into small dice and set aside.
- Saute the onion in butter until translucent.
- Add clams with juice and corn to the onion.
- Simmer for a few minutes to combine the flavors.
- Gently stir in cooked potatoes.
- Chowder can be prepared ahead to this point.
- Add combined milk and half and half to desired taste and consistancy.
- Heat thoroughly, but do not boil.
- Serve with warmed sherry on the side, to taste.