Recipe by shellyrph
I got this from a Williams Sonoma Soup Cookbook and it's really tasty... I love Clam chowder and this is a good one...
Top Review by Autuamnsprite
This was very good, even my eight year old likes it. I did make some adjustments. I replaced 1 cup of the water with clam juice, then added about 1/2 a cup more so in total there was about 2 cups of clam juice. I also added about 1 tsp salt. All in all it was really very good this way. Thank you for posting such a great recipe.
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 red potatoes, cubed
- 2 (6 1/2 ounce) cans clams, chopped (save liquid)
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook the bacon until it starts to brown about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Add butter to bacon drippings. When it melts, add celery, onion, thyme, and bay leaf and saute until the onion is translucent - about 2 minutes.
- Add potatoes and stir well.
- Add the reserved clam liquor and 2 cups water and bring to a boil Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer about 15 minutes.
- Add the milk and cream and stir.
- Add clam meat, heat through, and season with salt and pepper (I added the bacon here also.).
- Remove bay leave -- and serve -- Yummy.