Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Our Kitchen To Yours
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium celery rib, sliced thinly
- 4 cups water
- 2 1⁄2 cups diced raw potatoes
- 10 ounces baby clams
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- Melt 1/2 cup margarine in large saucepan.
- Sauté diced onions, add celery slices until tender.
- Add water, potatoes and clams.
- Bring to a boil slowly.
- Turn heat down to simmer, continue cooking until potatoes are nearly done. Grate 1/2 cup raw carrots.
- In small saucepan, melt 1/4 cup margarine and flour.
- Stir through until all margarine is absorbed.
- Add milk. Stir quickly over a medium heat until blended into a smooth mixture (a whisk does this easily).
- Add this mixture and grated carrots to clam and vegetable mixture.
- Stir gently to blend.
- Simmer over low heat for about 20 minutes.