Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is my favorite clam chowder. It makes a fantastic potato soup when the clams are left out and a little cheese is sprinkled in your bowl. The best way to serve this meal is in a bread bowl with crackers on the side.
- 4 -6 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 chopped onion
- 1 chopped carrot
- chopped broccoli
- chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) can clams
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 4 cups milk
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- garlic salt (to taste)
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 3 potatoes
- Peel and cube potatoes. In a pot, cover potatoes with water and boil until you can easily pierce them with a fork.
- While potatoes cook, use a skillet to fry bacon until crisp. Remove bacon, leaving the bacon grease in the pan, and crumble it. Set aside bacon pieces.
- Put vegetables into bacon grease with margarine and saute. (for those with vegetable haters, this is a great opportunity to use the food processor to chop vegetables they don't like and still include them in the soup). Add flour to vege mixture and heat up.
- When potatoes are done, drain water and add vege mixture to pot.
- Add milk, boullion, clam juice, salt, pepper and garlic salt. Boil to thicken. (Add milk to thin or add a mixture of milk and flour to thicken).
- Add clams and bacon and heat through.
I made this chowder tonight - followed the recipe, pretty much. I used a 12oz can of evap skim milk and finished off the rest of the milk with reg skim milk. This came out so thick you could almost stand a spoon in it! It was great. We loved it, especially all of the veggies in there. Next time though, I just may put 2 cans of clams in there. Thanks for posting. This is a keeper for us. UPDATE: I did make this wonderful chowder again this past winter and I did use 2 cans of clams. Came out perfect! Highly recommend 2 cans.