This is my favorite clam chowder. It makes a fantastic potato soup when the clams are left out and a little cheese is sprinkled in your bowl. The best way to serve this meal is in a bread bowl with crackers on the side.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel and cube potatoes. In a pot, cover potatoes with water and boil until you can easily pierce them with a fork.
- 2While potatoes cook, use a skillet to fry bacon until crisp. Remove bacon, leaving the bacon grease in the pan, and crumble it. Set aside bacon pieces.
- 3Put vegetables into bacon grease with margarine and saute. (for those with vegetable haters, this is a great opportunity to use the food processor to chop vegetables they don't like and still include them in the soup). Add flour to vege mixture and heat up.
- 4When potatoes are done, drain water and add vege mixture to pot.
- 5Add milk, boullion, clam juice, salt, pepper and garlic salt. Boil to thicken. (Add milk to thin or add a mixture of milk and flour to thicken).
- 6Add clams and bacon and heat through.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Clam Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (361 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 462.4
- Calories from Fat 257
- Total Fat 28.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.7 g
- Cholesterol 43.5 mg
- Sodium 661.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 14.7 g