Recipe by evelyn/athens
I can't get enough of this delicious soup. The bacon and cream-style corn make it extra-special.
Top Review by *Parsley*
Super flavors! The bacon gives a bit of saltiness and then the creamed corn adds a great sweetness! I made this just as written and think it's great as it is. I'll make this again. Thanx ev!
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 large onions, chopped
- 2 large potatoes, peeled,cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 (10 ounce) cans baby clams, drained,liquid reserved
- 2 cups whole milk (do not use skim or 0%)
- 1⁄2 cup bottled clam juice
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cream-style corn
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme or 1 tablespoon dried thyme, crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook chopped bacon in large saucepan over medium heat until fat is rendered and bacon begins to brown; add onions and saute until tender, about 10 minutes; add potatoes and bell pepper and saute 1 minute; add reserved liquid from canned clams, milk and bottled clam juice; simmer chowder, uncovered, until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
- add corn and clams to chowder; simmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes; mix in thyme; season to taste with salt and pepper.