Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 16 clams, soaked in water for 30 minutes and well scrubbed
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 cup chicken stock or 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 4 strips bacon, chopped finely
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 cup cream
- 2 cups milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced potatoes
- Place clams, caraway, stock and water in a large covered saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove the clams and strain the clam juice.
- Chop the clam meat as finely as possible and reserve.
- In a large saucepan, gently cook bacon, onions and celery until soft.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add the flour and cook 1 more minute.
- Add the cream and milk and bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Cook until thickened.
- Add reserved clam juice, seasonings and potatoes.
- Simmer for approximately 20 minutes or until potatoes are completely soft.
- Add chopped clam meat.
- Season with salt and white pepper and serve very hot.