My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 16 clams, soaked in water for 30 minutes and well scrubbed
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 cup chicken stock or 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 4 strips bacon, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 cup cream
- 2 cups milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 1/2 cups diced potatoes
- 1Place clams, caraway, stock and water in a large covered saucepan.
- 2Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 3Remove the clams and strain the clam juice.
- 4Chop the clam meat as finely as possible and reserve.
- 5In a large saucepan, gently cook bacon, onions and celery until soft.
- 6Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- 7Add the flour and cook 1 more minute.
- 8Add the cream and milk and bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- 9Cook until thickened.
- 10Add reserved clam juice, seasonings and potatoes.
- 11Simmer for approximately 20 minutes or until potatoes are completely soft.
- 12Add chopped clam meat.
- 13Season with salt and white pepper and serve very hot.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Clam Caraway Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (497 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 515.2
- Calories from Fat 312
- Total Fat 34.7 g
- Saturated Fat 18.0 g
- Cholesterol 120.3 mg
- Sodium 403.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 19.4 g