Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Recipe posted per request.
Make and share this Clam Cakes recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 (6 1/2 ounce) cans minced clams, drained with 1/2 cup broth/juice reserved
- 1 large egg, at room temp
- 3⁄4 cup milk, at room temp
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Old Bay Seasoning (see recipe 15562)
- vegetable oil (for cooking)
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- Mix well.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir well.
- In a deep pot heat 3 inch of oil to 375 degrees.
- Drop batter in by the teaspoonfull.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Drain and serve hot.
- Sprinkle with pepper and Old Bay Seasoning.
Just a quick note..when I made these, I separated the egg white and beat it until it was fluffy. Then mixed in with the clams, making the cakes lighter inside. Yum.
I loved this. I am a native Rhode Islander and these were just like the ones my grandmother made when I was a kid. They are light and crispy on the outside, not like the heavy doughnut type things you get a most clam shacks. Really, really good.
The best I've ever had, and I'm a New Englander (right on the ocean)!! Kudos!