Recipe by Barb in WNY
I never had an occasion to make this. Recipe origin unknown. Preparation time includes refrigerator time.
- 2 (8 ounce) cans minced clams
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat
- 2 teaspoons shallots, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon flour, plus
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- oil (for deep frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain clams, reserving liquid. You will have about 1 cup liquid and 1 cup clam meat.
- Melt the bacon fat in a skillet and saute the shallots and garlic for about 3 minutes.
- Off the heat, blend in the flour, stirring until it is all incorporated.
- Add 1/4 cup clam liquid and cream gradually.
- Return to the heat and cook over moderate heat until the sauce is very thick.
- Remove from the heat and add remaining ingredients.
- Fold in the clams.
- Refrigerate mixture at least 4 hours.
- With a teaspoon measure form balls 1/2-inch in diameter.
- Place on wax paper.
- In a small, heavy skillet pour oil to a depth of 1-inch and heat to 365°F
- Drop in 3 balls at a time, frying about 1 minute.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- These can be kept warm in a 200°F oven.
- If made in advance, reheat in a 425F oven placed on a wire rack in a jelly-roll pan for 7 minutes.
- Can be frozen. Place on a flat surface to freeze, then put in a freezer bag and seal. Reheat frozen balls in a 350F oven for 10 minutes.