Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is some trouble to make because I hate scrubbing clams, but it is sooo good that even I will go the the trouble.
- 2 dozen fresh clams in shell
- 2 lbs smoked Polish sausage, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs potatoes, cubed
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 4 (8 ounce) bottles clam juice
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 (16 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Scrub, scrub, scrub and wash fresh clams in shells; set aside--throw out any that are opened.
- In a large pot, cook the sausage over medium heat until browned; transfer to a paper towel lined plate to drain; set aside.
- Add the olive oil to the pot; saute the onion and garlic over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until soft and tender.
- Add potatoes, corn, clam juice, water, fennel seed, and cayenne.
- Bring to a boil; cover, lower heat and simmer 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Add in tomatoes; stir to combine.
- Remove 2 cups potato mixture and transfer to the container of an electric blender.
- Process until smooth and return mixture to the pot.
- Bring to a boil; add clams; cover, lower heat and simmer 4-5 minutes or until clam shells open (Throw out any that do not open).
- Add in sausage and parsley; stir and cook until heated; season with salt/pepper if needed.