1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 15 mins
This is some trouble to make because I hate scrubbing clams, but it is sooo good that even I will go the the trouble.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 dozen fresh clams in shell
- 2 lbs smoked Polish sausage, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs potatoes, cubed
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 4 (8 ounce) bottles clam juice
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 (16 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1Scrub, scrub, scrub and wash fresh clams in shells; set aside--throw out any that are opened.
- 2In a large pot, cook the sausage over medium heat until browned; transfer to a paper towel lined plate to drain; set aside.
- 3Add the olive oil to the pot; saute the onion and garlic over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until soft and tender.
- 4Add potatoes, corn, clam juice, water, fennel seed, and cayenne.
- 5Bring to a boil; cover, lower heat and simmer 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 6Add in tomatoes; stir to combine.
- 7Remove 2 cups potato mixture and transfer to the container of an electric blender.
- 8Process until smooth and return mixture to the pot.
- 9Bring to a boil; add clams; cover, lower heat and simmer 4-5 minutes or until clam shells open (Throw out any that do not open).
- 10Add in sausage and parsley; stir and cook until heated; season with salt/pepper if needed.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Clam and Sausage Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (4715 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1658.3
- Calories from Fat 893
- Total Fat 99.3 g
- Saturated Fat 32.8 g
- Cholesterol 251.1 mg
- Sodium 4484.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 124.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.9 g
- Sugars 24.6 g
- Protein 70.0 g