Recipe by Stefanie :)
Found this recipe in the Gourmet Magazine and everyone who has tried it LOVES it. This chowder is not thick like your usual chowder and the flavor is wonderful!! Try it for yourself!
- 3 slices bacon, cut crosswise into thin strips
- 1 bunch scallion (5 or 6)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 cups corn (form about 4 ears)
- 1 lb boiling potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 (8 ounce) bottles clam juice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 lbs hard-shelled clams, well scrubbed
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon in a 4 to 5 quart heavy pot over medium heat, stirr until slightly browned but not crisp.
- Chop white and pale green of scallions (save greens for later) and add to bacon along with 1 tablespoon butter.
- Cook, stirring, 2 minutes.
- Stir in corn, potatoes, clam juice, water, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and bring to a rolling boil, uncovered.
- Add clams and return to a boil, then simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until clams are just opened wide, 5 to 8 minutes (discard any clams that remain unopened after 8 min).
- Chop 1/2 cup scallion greens and add to chowder along with milk, cream, and remaining tablespoon butter.
- Cook, stirring, until heated through (do not let boil).
- Season with salt and pepper.