1/3 Photos of Claire Fisk's Irish Soda Bread
1 hr 5 mins
This recipe is from my sister-in-law's mother, (Claire), who was born and raised in Ireland. Note: I usually make this with a mixture of "white" and dark raisins (3/4 cup each). You can use 8-inch (for 2 loaves), or 9-inch (for 1 loaf) round cake pans in place of the 1 and 2 quart round casserole dishes. (photo of 1 large 8 1/2-inch loaf)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Grease a 2 quart round baking pan (or two 1 quart round baking pans if you divide dough into 2 loaves).
- 3In a bowl, using a fork, mix together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- 4Cut in butter until mixture forms coarse crumbs.
- 5Stir in raisins and caraway seeds.
- 6In a small bowl, beat eggs.
- 7Remove 1 Tablespoon of the beaten eggs and set aside.
- 8Stir buttermilk into eggs.
- 9Stir buttermilk/egg mixture into flour mixture until just moistened; dough will be sticky.
- 10Knead dough on well floured surface (about 10 strokes).
- 11Shape dough into a ball and place into greased baking pan.
- 12Cut a 4 inch cross into the center of the loaf (about a 1/4 inch deep).
- 13Brush top of loaf with reserved beaten egg.
- 14Bake at 350°F for 50-70 minutes (depending on your oven).
- 15Cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- 16Remove from pan, continue cooling on a rack until just "warm", serve with lots of butter or let cool completely.
- 17(Slices easier when completely cool).
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Claire Fisk's Irish Soda Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1357 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3573.5
- Calories from Fat 789
- Total Fat 87.7 g
- Saturated Fat 49.8 g
- Cholesterol 569.8 mg
- Sodium 5895.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 626.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 21.5 g
- Sugars 198.4 g
- Protein 83.7 g