Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Chef Emeril prepared this on his Emeril Green show and we knew we had to save this recipe. These greens looked just like what our friends used to make and share with us.
- 3 cups onions, julienned
- salt and pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 2 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 smoked turkey drumsticks or 2 smoked turkey thighs
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle beer
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 6 lbs greens, such as mustard greens, collard greens, turnip greens, kale, and spinach, cleaned and stemmed
- In a large pot saute the onions for about 6 to 7 minutes or until the onions are wilted. Season the mixture with salt, pepper and pinch of cayenne. Add the shallots and garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the turkey thighs.
- Stir in the greens, a third at a time, pressing the greens down as they start to wilt. Pour in the beer and vinegar. Cook the greens, covered for about 45 minutes. To serve, mound the greens in the center of the platter and serve.