Recipe by Susan Antonucci
Someone was looking for a cake that didn't have any milk in it. Well I found this one of my mothers. It is got to be over 67 years old. It is really good it tastes like a spice cake. Civil War Cake (or-Eggless, Butterless, Milkless Cake)
Top Review by Jen In The Kitchen!
Of course this has the texture of an old fashioned cake, because it is! I added in some nuts just because we love them, but otherwise followed the recipe exactly. The caramel frosting was the perfect touch to this fine cake!
- 1 lb raisins
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups sugar (1 white & 1 brown)
- 1 cup shortening
- 4 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 1 cup nuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine raisins, sugar, 1 cup of water, shortening, salt & spices in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, simmer 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, then cool till lukewarm, then add the other cp of water.
- Dissolve soda in 2 teas.
- of water, set aside. Stir sifted & measured flour into raisin mixture & beat until smooth.
- Add dissolved soda last. Pur into greased floured 13x9 [am & bale 50-55 min.
- at 350 degrees.
- It may also be cooked in a tube pan.
- Serve with whipped cream or caramel frosting.
- Combine 3/4 cup of brown sugar 1/2 cup of water 1/2 tsp salt in a saucepan.
- Cook 6 min.
- stirring often.
- Cool to lukewarm and stir in 3 Tbsp.
- of butter.
- Then gradually stir in 21/4 cups of sifted confectionery sugar, beating until smooth.
- Stir in 1 teas.
- vanilla and spread on cake. You will be surprised how good it taste with such little ingredients.