Recipe by mailbelle
Served at the City Hall Diner in Vestavia Hills, AL. From the "Food Detective" section of the Birmingham News. My DH won't eat bread pudding (calls it soggy bread) but he's a chocoholic so I'm hoping this recipe will convert him!
- butter (for greasing pan)
- 20 biscuits, cut up and allowed to dry out (see note below)
- 4 cups milk
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 10 eggs
- 1 cup cocoa
- 2 cups sugar
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 20 dark chocolate kisses
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9-by-13-inch casserole dish with butter. Set aside.
- In large bowl, mix milk and cocoa.
- Add sugar. Mix well.
- Add eggs and mix well.
- Add biscuits to bowl and let sit 15 minutes. When biscuits have absorbed liquid, mix in chocolate chips.
- Pour into casserole. Place kisses in randomly and press into pudding.
- Bake in a water bath for 45 minutes and check. If pudding has not set, check every 15 minutes until it has set.
- Serve pudding warm with ice cream.
- NOTE: If you do not have homemade biscuits, you may substitute Pillbury frozen biscuits.