Recipe by COOKGIRl
From the monthly calgiant.com e-newsletter. For a vegan version, replace the honey with an approved sugar of choice.
Top Review by Kris Morrison
Made this tonight while looking for a new way to spice up the salads in our house. Definitely an Amazing salad. So flavourful! I chose to add some chopped chicken breast, grape tomatoes and crumbled Feta cheese! ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!
- 1 bunch curly kale (I tried lacinato kale and next time will try Russian kale)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 1 orange, juice and zest of
- 1 teaspoon honey (or alternative sugar)
- 1⁄2 avocado, cubed (second taste test or helping I skipped the avocado)
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons pepitas (toasted)
Directions See How It's Made
- Variations-Instead of blueberries and pepitas try any of the following: blackberries and walnuts, sliced strawberries and pecans, raspberries and sliced almonds, marionberries and hazelnuts (<<--Oregon style!). I chose blackberry and walnut. There is a blackberry bush down the street that now is producing and I had to act quickly before the deer devoured my secret stash.
- Remove kale leaves from the stem and chop into bite sized pieces (or tear using hands).
- Place kale in a large bowl and drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil and salt into leaves, massaging with hands. Do this for a few minutes, massaging the olive oil well into the leaves. Set aside. (Leaves should begin to wilt a little.).
- Whisk together lemon and orange juice and zest, remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil and honey. Season with a small amount of salt and pepper to taste. Pour dressing over the kale leaves.
- Add the avocado, berries and seeds and toss all together. Do not add the dressing, avocado, berries or seeds to the salad until just before serving.