1/1 Photo of Citrusy Kale Salad W/ Blueberries and Pepitas (& Variations)
From the monthly calgiant.com e-newsletter. For a vegan version, replace the honey with an approved sugar of choice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 bunch curly kale (I tried lacinato kale and next time will try Russian kale)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 1 orange, juice and zest of
- 1 teaspoon honey (or alternative sugar)
- 1/2 avocado, cubed (second taste test or helping I skipped the avocado)
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons pepitas (toasted)
- 1Variations-Instead of blueberries and pepitas try any of the following: blackberries and walnuts, sliced strawberries and pecans, raspberries and sliced almonds, marionberries and hazelnuts (<<--Oregon style!). I chose blackberry and walnut. There is a blackberry bush down the street that now is producing and I had to act quickly before the deer devoured my secret stash.
- 2Remove kale leaves from the stem and chop into bite sized pieces (or tear using hands).
- 3Place kale in a large bowl and drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil and salt into leaves, massaging with hands. Do this for a few minutes, massaging the olive oil well into the leaves. Set aside. (Leaves should begin to wilt a little.).
- 4Whisk together lemon and orange juice and zest, remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil and honey. Season with a small amount of salt and pepper to taste. Pour dressing over the kale leaves.
- 5Add the avocado, berries and seeds and toss all together. Do not add the dressing, avocado, berries or seeds to the salad until just before serving.
Browse Our Top Berries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Berries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Citrusy Kale Salad W/ Blueberries and Pepitas (& Variations)
Serving Size: 1 (177 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 201.5
- Calories from Fat 117
- Total Fat 13.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 461.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 4.2 g