Recipe by Smilyn
From Cooking Light May '06. For a bit over 300 calories per serving this will make you want to get up and run!
- 1⁄4 cup reduced-sugar orange marmalade
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 cups fresh orange sections
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1⁄3 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Compote: Place marmalade, orange juice, lemon juice, and honey in a small saucepan over medium-low heat and cook until marmalade melts.
- Reduce heat and gently stir in the orange sections; keep warm.
- Waffles: Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups and level with knife.
- Combine flours and the next 6 ingredients (sugar, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda, salt,& nutmeg) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Combine buttermilk, 1/3 cup water, canola oil, orange rind, and egg in a small bowl.
- Add milk mixture to flour mixture, stirring until moist.
- Coat a waffle iron with spray and preheat.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup batter per 4-inch waffle onto hot iron, spreading batter to edges.
- Cook until steam stops.
- Sift powdered sugar over tops of waffles and serve with 1/3 cup compote over 2 waffles for serving size.