Recipe by diner524
A trifle bursting with flavor!!! Using blood orange juice(which is orange flavored with overtones of strawberry and raspberries)to flavor the cake, combined with strawberries and red raspberry preserves and the creaminess of the pudding and whipped topping makes for a sensational dessert. This dessert could be lightened by using light or fat free pudding and whipped topping.
Top Review by weekend cooker
Great tasting dessert, Lynn. I also made it in a 13x9 inch pan, and made recipe without any changes. We really enjoyed the vanilla taste, along with the strawberry rasberry combo. A nice change from the usual desserts we have. Thanks for the recipe. Made for Potluck tag.
- 1 (9 ounce) boxof jiffy yellow cake mix (can use other cake mix but will need to adjust amount of blood orange juice, and it will make more t)
- 1 blood orange, juice of
- 1 egg
- 1 (7 ounce) box instant vanilla pudding
- 3 cups cold milk
- 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 16 ounces fresh strawberries
- 1⁄4 cup red raspberry preserves (I use seedless)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Juice the blood orange and pour into liquid measuring cup. Add enough water to come up to just below the 1/2 cup mark.
- In a medium bowl, add cake mix, egg and the juice/water and blend at medium speed for two minutes. Pour into a greased 8X8 or 9 inch round cake pan.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool completely.
- While cake is cooking and cooling, mix vanilla instant pudding with 3 cups milk and then refrigerate. Clean and core strawberries and then cut into quarters. Place strawberries in medium bowl and add the raspberry preserves. Mix to combine.
- In a trifle bowl, add half of the cake, which you have broken up into pieces. Layer on half of the pudding, 1/2 of the strawberries and 1/2 of the whipped topping. Repeat layers. Could garnish with some strawberries or blood orange slices.