Recipe by Jellyqueen
I love fruit recipes of all sorts....this is just another example of a great fruit recipe. I will admit this one takes a little time, and has to sit at least 6 hours to set, I prefer overnight, but it is well worth the effort!!!! The cook time includes the chill time. But, on the other hand, it is a recipe that a new cook can prepare without any problems. I am guessing on the size of the packet of unflavored gelatin....the type I buy comes 3 packets to a box (I use one of those packets.
Top Review by Chef Kate
Very pretty, and actually quite simple to do. I did allow it to set overnight and had no trouble unmolding. It slices beautifully and really is quite pretty on the plate. Cool and refreshing and elegant.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 (1 1/2 teaspoon) packet unflavored gelatin
- 3 whole star anise
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 pink grapefruit
- 2 red grapefruits, I prefer Ruby Reds
- 2 white grapefruits
- 2 navel oranges
- 2 tangerines
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, star anise, cinnamon and 1-1/4 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil over med-high heat then reduce to a simmer and cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Carefully remove peel, pith and outer membranes from all the fruit.
- Working over a sieve or strainer set over a large bowl, slice each segment of pulp from the membranes.
- Reserve juice for another use.
- Being careful not to break the sections, remove seeds and transfer to another bowl.
- Strain cooled syrup into a medium bowl and sprinkle the gelatin over it and allow to dissolve about 2 minutes.
- Return to saucepan and cook over low heat until gelatin has fully dissolved.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Coat a 4-1/2 x 9" loaf pan with cooking spray and line with plastic wrap.
- Allow 6" overhang on all sides.
- Fill the mold with the citrus segments. Press firmly on the fruit, tilt the pan and drain the excess juice.
- Pour gelatin mixture over fruit, shaking gently, so mixture runs into the corners. Carefully fold the plastic over the top and chill until set, about 6 hours over overnight.
- To serve:.
- Unfold plastic; place platter on the top. Carefully invert both; remove pan, holding plastic in place on platter.
- Remove the plastic.
- Slice and serve.