Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe was from Super Food Ideas Magazine (March 2004). These cakes are fantastic- beautiful fresh flavours with the oranges, lemons and limes. Use a good quality flour blend.
- 150 g butter, softened
- 1 2⁄3 cups caster sugar
- 2 lemons, juice and rind of, finely grated
- 2 oranges, juice and zest of, finely grated
- 2 limes, juice and zest of, finely grated
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup gluten-free self-raising flour, sifted
- 100 g almond meal
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 170°C Lightly grease an 8 x 1/2-cup capacity mini loaf pan or a 12 x 1/3-cup capacity muffin pan.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter, 2/3 cup of sugar and 1 teaspoon each of lemon, orange and lime rind for 8 minutes, or until creamy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add flour, almond meal and milk to butter mixture. Mix.
- Spoon into pan. Bake for 20 minutes, or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Stand for 5 minutes. Turn onto a wire rack over a baking dish.
- Place remaining sugar and 1/3 cup each of lemon, orange and lime juice into a saucepan over low heat. Stir until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high. Bring to the boil. Boil, without stirring, for 8 minutes, or until syrup thickens slightly.
- Use a skewer to prick holes in tops of cakes. Pour warm syrup over warm cakes.