Aunt Willie's Note:
A co-worker brought this into a work luncheon and I begged her for the recipe after tasting it. She drizzled the slices with an orange syrup, but she didn't give me that recipe. I think it could be made by combing 2 tbsp of orange juice with enough powdered sugar to make a drizzable icing.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Beat egg yolks until slightly thickened.
- 3Gradually add 3/4 cup of sugar and hot water to yolks, beating until thick and lemon colored.
- 4Blend in orange juice, vanilla, orange and lemon peels.
- 5Sift together cake flour, baking powder and salt.
- 6Add to wet ingredients.
- 7In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- 8Add remaining 1/4 cup sugar, a tablespoon at a time until stiff peaks form.
- 9Fold 1/4 of the egg white mixture into batter until incorporated. Fold in remaining egg whites.
- 10Spoon into an ungreased 10 inch tube pan.
- 11Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes, or until cake springs bake when pressed lightly.
- 12Immediately invert pan and cool.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Citrus Sponge Cake
Serving Size: 1 (799 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1844.2
- Calories from Fat 130
- Total Fat 14.5 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 566.4 mg
- Sodium 1392.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 378.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 213.2 g
- Protein 46.6 g