Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
A nice, refreshing twist on a spinach salad - a perfect compliment to any holiday meal! Great with Ham! ****Noteworthy - this makes quite a bit of dressing - so depending on your taste, you may want to increase the amount of salad fixings or slightly decrease the dressing (or just save it for another day!!).
- 2 cups spinach leaves, fresh (OR 2 cups torn Romaine Lettuce)
- 1⁄2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 navel orange, fresh peeled and separated into sections (or 2 blood oranges or 1/2 small can of mandarin oranges)
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (preferably extra virgin)
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- salt & pepper
- Toss spinach, onion, oranges and pine nuts together.
- Whisk together all dressing ingredients.
- Pour over salad and serve.
Delicious; light and fresh tasting. I usually like to have lots of veggies to toss in a salad, but only had romaine and carrots on hand. So my salad was simply romaine, navel orange chunks, and carrot ribbons. I adapted the dressing recipe for lemon juice (what I had on hand) and for hubby's anti-viniagrette tastes. I omitted the vinegar completely; used 2 Tbsp. lemon juice, only 2 Tbsp oil, 1 whole Tbsp honey, no cilantro, and same amount of mustard. We both loved it!! Thanks!
This salad just makes you smile! In every way, too! I followed this exactly, seriously no need to change anything, except I had to use a sweet white onion instead of red. (didn't have any). I had fresh citrus from the holidays, and they were so juicy, coupled with the fresh spinach, this made a marvelous, great tasting salad. Thanks, Mommy Diva! Made for Mommy Diva Cookathon! 2011
Keep this simple. Excellent, light refreshing and YUMMY! I did use blood oranges and naval, just because I had both. Used baby spinach and yes I toasted the pine nuts. Loved the dressing, thx for a great recipe, Kim